Segments allow you to make changes to your diary set up for specific periods of time, without affecting other operations. This can be different opening times, changing your yield management, or altering table joins.
Step 1 - amend the existing segment
1) Go to Settings > Segments
To add a new segment, first create a space for it between your existing segments. Let's use Valentine's Day as an example.
To do this:
- Go to Settings > Segments, and find the segment including the dates with your changing operations. Click Edit.
- Find the date range which includes the date(s) you need a new operation for. Take a note of this so no dates are missed. Eg. 01/01/2018 - 01/01/2030.
- Once you have noted this, remove this date range by clicking on the dustbin icon. You’ll be asked to confirm this action > say yes. (Don’t press save yet!)
- Go to Start Date and add in your original start date (which you've noted down) and the end date day before your special operations begin. Add date range, Eg. 15/02/2018 - 13/02/2020
- Omit the dates you need a special operation for entirely.
- Add another date range beginning the day after your special operations end. Make the end date the end date of the original one you have a note of. Eg. 13/02/2020.
- This means you have replaced the original date (15/02/2018 - 13/02/2022) with 15/02/2018 - 13/02/2020 AND 15/02/2020 - 13/02/2022. Note how 14/02/2020 no longer exists in this segment: we've made space!
When you feel confident this is all correct, hit Save.
Step 2 - create a new segment
- From the Segments overview, click Create New.
- Enter a name and a description. Make sure it's something you'll recognise in future if you want to use this type of setup again.
- Select Finite Range
- Enter the dates for your new segment Eg. if this is just for Valentine's Day, it would be 14th Feb - 14th Feb of your given year.
- If you get an error message, go back to Step 1 and check your dates are correct.
- From the Inherit Areas from Existing Segment dropdown, choose Normal Operations, and tick the boxes below, starting with Areas - Services - Rules - Tables - Table Plan Views - Table Rankings then Joins. Ensure all tick boxes are selected before saving.
If there's another segment that you think is closer to what you're trying to achieve, like Christmas Operations, choose that instead. (Even if you don't want the same setup as these operations, it's easier to edit them than rebuild the whole diary.
- Click Save and the hard bit is done.
Now you can go ahead and edit this segment to suit your exact operations for this date. See guides below: